From: Karen Canty
To: ARN-L@LISTS.CUA.EDU
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 11:28 AM
Subject: Re: AVID programs

Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 5:01 AM
To: ARN-L@LISTS.CUA.EDU

. In brief, they identify the "talented tenth" by looking for high test scores and low GPAs.

Peter,

In the program here - I don't think they identify kids by your "talented tenth" formula - the students tend to be African-American and Latino but have been identified in a variety of ways - parents apply (they have begun to do a better marketing job), kids find out and talk to counselors and counselors identify students "who have potential" -- Course that could be just how it's evolved over time...

Karen