Re: Curriculum question "Facing History and Ourselves"

I'm curious - on wht basis do you consider Sprtizler's work to be
"excellent"? Do you a predetermined position on the issue that he
happens to reinforce? Do you reflexively assume certain position becaue
of a predetermined political philosophy? Even from the passages you
offer in your post to Karen, I'm perplexed. Antisemitism became quite
widespread in Gremanic countries after the 1890's, strating with a mayor
of Vienna, who used it as a polticila tool well before Hitler and his
minions did. As for the roots of German antisemitism, one need look no
further than the founder ofthe refomred church, one martin Luthor, who
became quite vitriolic in his expression towards Jews.

If one looks at the classic German passion plays, they were, for
decades, even before Hitler, notorious for their antisemitism,
particular the most famous, that at Obergammerau (soory if this late at
night I've buthered the German name) - it was only circa the 1970's
that they finally changed the text of that play.

To imply the the vast majority of German working class was not
antisemitic is simply ahistorical. They may not have been vitorilic,
and deliberate, as was the author of Mein Kampf, but it was an essential
part of much opf Germanic culture, even as it liekwise of much of French
culture, where one even encoutners it in an otherwise wonderful book,
Diary of a Country Priest, by Geroges Bernanos.

Methinks there is one expression that helps explain Sprtizler's intent:
"because it helps discredit the central idea of democracy -- that
ordinary people are fit to rule society."

Sorry, I don't buy into that conspiracy theory. It doesn't matter
whether one is arguing from the right about black UN helicopters or from
the left about the foundations and the mason and whatever else you
presume is supressing everyone else. If you go ar enough out, you will
meet the other half of the lunatic fringe coming around the circle to
meet you. If this is an example of the thought processes, then I think
Victor may have actually gotten it right.

Ken Bernstein