[mailto:ARN-L@listsrva.CUA.EDU]On Behalf Of Pikku Myy
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 6:34 PM
To: ARN-L@listsrva.CUA.EDU
Subject: Re: Edron, er, Edison in NY Times

If you all haven't already, go read www.alt-sfa.com . If it's adequate
materials and effective teaching techniques that these (and our) kids need,
Edison/SFA isn't the place to get them.

As far as the regimentation of Edison schools being comforting, I'm sure it
is. I spent three years of my life in a country that was trying to move from
a long-standing (and NOT) benevolent military dictatorship to democratic
rule. Crime went up, prices went up, people began daring to do things that
would have gotten them "disappeared" under the dictatorship (being openly
gay, etc.) and people started wondering if life under the General was really
so bad after all. It's that question again: how much freedom are we willing
to give up for security?

I work in a school very like the one in the story. I want my kids to have
better than the best, and that includes teaching democratic principles by
example, and a curriculum that challenges them to think, even if I don't
agree with their answers.

Can't see either one in Edison.

But hey! free computers. Wow.

PM