From: UMJoe@AOL.COM [mailto:UMJoe@AOL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 6:41 AM
To: ARN-L@listsrva.CUA.EDU
Subject: Changing classroom practices

Eddie wrote about a week ago, asking for reactions to an article by Richard
Elmore of Harvard. I think it is a very important article and would like to
respond briefly.

Elmore began by describing a teacher he interviewed about block scheduling.
Elmore asked the teacher what thought of block scheduling. The teacher
thought it was the best thing that had happened in a long time. Elmore
asked
why. The teacher said that now he could show the whole movie.

Elmore's point is that we can talk about a lot of external changes, but
unless we discuss what happens with students and teachers, there will not be
much improvement.

My sense is that many people on this list believe that what happens in
classrooms is heavily influenced by poorly designed standardized tests. I
agree that some schools are heavily influenced by these tests because the
schools are under intense pressure to improve achievement on the tests.

I also think it's critical to talk about what we mean by real learning - and
how it is measured. So - in brief, thanks to Eddie for sharing the Elmore
article. Reactions welcome.

Joe N.