Re: missing columns

Margaret: this is an accolade I send to each of my correspondents from one of
my favorite Bach Cantatas, The Peasants' Cantata, one of only two secular
Kantatas in the repertoire until several more were discovered in the former East
Berlin, last year. It is the Bass Aire toward the end toward which the whole
affair approaches and is sung to a popular drinking tune from France at the
time.

Here is the long and the short of it...

The situation is this: Before the then-to-be (Prince Elector) Kammerherr
(Chamberlain) Carl Heinrich von Dieskau was appointed the Lord of the Manor of
Kleinshocher (Bach's home *township*). I see this work as a ribald *evaluation*
set to music of the whole situation regarding the state-of-the-Manor for the
occasion of Deiskaus ascendancy. Here is the *rest of the story* I scanned from
the libretto. Before that is a tribute that Ev Shepard from the EVALTALK list
sent me right after 9/11.
MY transliteration:

May your Prospects be sure;
May you laugh for joy!
(For) the lovingkindness of your heart
Has prepared the fields
Upon which you must bloom (prosper)...

Thank you for asking. It certainly is NOT some Aryan tribute as many have
claimed... ;-} rap.

>From Ev Shepard, ArizonaStateUni, thank you, my friend...
Rick--

Thank you for your thoughtful contributions--not just since
Tuesday, but over time...

If you will permit some ruminations, your sig now brings a
couple of thoughts to mind in view of Tuesday:

1) It may seem almost impossible "vor Lust zu lachen", since
"Lust" may seem in such short supply. But, stripped of the
trivial and sensual connotations, I think the line is just
as good as ever.

2) What could "ein festes Wachstum" actually be for us now?
Thinking of spiritual as well as physical growth, it has
obviously changed just since last week.

3) Likewise what could "die Trefflichkeit eines Herzens"
really be when the heart is torn between fear, grief and
justice? And how can we say that that field is all that
well prepared? It seems now as if someone else has plowed
it up.

4) And, of course, the line "das Feld ... auf dem du bluehen
musst." now reminds me of Flanders fields.

>From the libretto: (Canatat 212 BWV catalogue - 1987 Decca record: 417 621-1/CD
417 621-2, by Nicholas Anderson)

?On 30 August 1742?, writes Bach?s nineteenth-century biographer Philip Spitta,
?the chamberlain Carl Heinrich von Dieskau received allegiance as Lord of the
Manor of Kleinzschocher. As Provost of the district he was inspector of the
land, liquor and income taxes, and of the quarterly tax?. Carl Heinrich von
Dieskau was born in 1706, and on the above-mentioned date, his thirty-sixth
birthday, took possession of Kleinzschocher, a settlement lying on the outskirts
of Leipzig. A fête was organised for the occasion, two of the major events being
a firework display and the performance of Bach?s Peasant Cantata. The idea of
such a musical entertainment was that of the librettist ? again Picander. By
profession, Picander was a government official and in 1740 he had been put in
charge of collecting the liquor taxes of the neigh -bourhood. In that capacity
he was, therefore, answerable to the new landowner. An entertainment for which
he himself had provided the text and engaged the services of the most important
composer of the region doubtless seemed to Picander an excellent means of
ingratiating himself with his new superior. It is at least possible that Bach
himself and his musicians travelled to Kleinzschocher to perform the Cantata en
burlesque as Picander?s printed text describes it (C.P.E. Bach termed it a
comische Cantate), but of this we cannot be certain.
The story depicts with witty humour and considerable charm the exchanges of a
courting couple employed by the estate. Picander?s character portrayal is
colourful and, through his ?dramatis personae?, his references to neighbouring
estates or villages and his use of Upper Saxon dialect he achieves a
marvellously vivid sense of locality. Such characterisation is somewhat akin to
that found in the Coffee Cantata, and is far removed from the mythological
figures of Bach?s secular works for more formal, courtly occasions. The young
man, bold in his advances, fond of beer and not, perhaps, generously endowed
with intelligence, has his mind on little else but a roll in the hay with his
sweetheart Mieke. She, on the other hand, is bright, dislikes vulgarity, and is
anxious, it would seem, to ?better? herself; but she is fond of him and will
doubtless throw in her lot with him sooner or later.
Bach?s music emphasises the burlesque, simple nature of Picander?s text in a
wide variety of ways. In the space of twenty-four short movements he paints with
subtlety and affection a robust, vibrant picture of a rustic fête. His
instrumental resources are small ?violin, viola and continuo to which, on
occasion, are added a second violin part, a flute and a horn ? and we may
surmise that Bach, with his basic string band, had in mind a typical group of
village musicians. There