From: Juanita Doyon
To: ARN-L@LISTS.CUA.EDU
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 6:14 PM
Subject: Re: New York State Ed Cracks

In a message dated 2/23/02 8:01:07 AM Pacific Standard Time, jpbottini@ADELPHIA.NET writes:

Summers are necessary for kids to be kids and experience growth. But, most
kids are bored after 6 weeks.

Uh, where's your data on that one Joe? When I'm superintendent, one goal I have is to fix what I consider to be the broken school calendar. I think we need to get back to a first week of June exit and a day after Labor Day start. (this in the northern states who fall into this pattern. Texas and OK get out in May and start in August I believe. Not sure of other warmer states.

The problem I see is the lack of consistency during the school year. We need variety-- I disagree with you on the hat day on Friday thing-- but we also need consistency, if only to provide teachers the opportunity to plan their teaching in reasonable blocks of time. We all need days of the week to mean different things. Keeps life interesting. Our kids learn to have good clean fun with their friends when schools allow play. I'm not talking about taking away recess time either. Kids need down time during the school day too. What if teachers had a near 3 month summer again too? Schools can't continue to take over parenting and expect parents to fulfill their parenting responsibility.

The societal problems that are caused by the lack of supervision in some families cannot be solved by the schools alone. And it cannot be assumed that all parents want the schools to take on more responsibility over their kids.

It's time for society in general to recognize the needs of our children and value them enough to see to those needs. Teachers are only human. There is a teacher shortage now. Increasing time in school only stretches the human resources to the breaking point. Very scary!

It all boils down to respect though. Respect for parents, kids, and teachers. Respect for the limits of the ability of schools to solve all the troubles of the world. We need to empower parents to spend time with their kids. There's no reason why both parents should have to work to scrape together a living. Life is long! Percentage wise, child rearing years are short-- even when we have more than our 2.6 children and overpopulate the world, like Margaret and me. Single parents are in a different situation. We need to improve the environments of many children, but we do that by respecting the parent and empowering them as caregiver, not by taking over their job.

okay, I'll quit ranting on.....

If the school year were lengthened, it would be in the best interest of children to alter the structure of the classroom, so that we offer children a variety of learning situations. Classroom instruction ain't gonna hack it, and I'm not sure anyone is ready to put a price tag on offering 49 million children authentic learning environments for summer instruction-- but maybe I'm wrong; maybe we could link it to national parks.

Juanita