Re: Coercion

>>>How can a test that is not proven valid be a requirement by the school or
district? It is legal for parents to opt their children out of WASL. It
may even be legal for kids to opt themselves out-- I'm not sure. Is it
better for kids to take the test and doodle or write opinion essays on high
stakes testing?<<<<<

If they can opt out of the test, why would they need to doodle OR write
essays? (Not that there's anything wrong with either of those pastimes.
;) ) Wouldn't the student just not be present?

As for "dealing" with that teacher, I don't think anything needs to be said.
The young man can gently remind her that students may opt out of testing and
therefore it cannot be a requirement for passing the grade or course, and
let it go at that.

Teresa G.

The good news is I'm beginning to hear from people-- all over the state--
who saw our WASL opt out stories last year and are ready to opt out this
year because of it.

Thanks for any enlightenment you may be able to offer,
Juanita