From: Juanita Doyon
To: ARN-L@LISTS.CUA.EDU
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 8:57 PM
Subject: Re: [eddra] Algebra

In a message dated 2/28/02 3:53:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, rparkany@BORG.COM writes:

we barely kept Juanita.

You didn't keep me entirely, Rick. But then that is more a sign of my intelligence than a sign of testosterone overuse. Tell your Rachel she's smarter than any boy, simply because she is a girl, and you will give her the gift of self esteem beyond any other.

I suspect it is often boredom rather than frustration that turns many of us off to math. And I think it is important that we see a reason to continue on in the subject before we are engaged in doing so. I suggest that it is only the very few (cream o' the crop? or perhaps something else) mathematically minded individuals (as a percentage) who can be engaged in mathematical learning for its own sake. Just as there are a few of us who enjoy dabbling with words. I also suspect that if we gave a kid a break around 7th or 8th grade, rather than pushing them to be in that "best placement" -- usually the highest they can pass into-- that perhaps there would be fewer math tragedies to deal with-- not to mention less need for math teachers, thus allowing for a better teaching force to begin with. Certainly there would be much less "if you can't engage me, I simply will not work for you" attitude going on. What if a kid was interested in a year of s! cience for instance-- or a sabbatical at the zoo? What if a kid simply needed to stay home a year and do as they pleased-- actually, this is pretty much what my son did last year.

We need to afford our junior high kids some choices that are not life threatening academically. Instead we set them up for failure with less and less choices-- particularly if they are struggling academically.

So, I ramble. My son Joseph will be 19 tomorrow. It's birthday month. Carmen and Sam will be 14 the 27th and Doris will be 22 April 1st. Not sure whether that was good planning or what. Probably what. Multiplication was always my strong suit ;-)

Juanita