Re: Is "Grade Level" A Load of Hooey?

Too many poor kids and minority kids are way behind other kids.? That's the problem, not whether tests have too many multiple choice items or whether it's better to talk about "proficiency rates" or "grade levels" or "normal curve equivalents."? By the way, how is your strategy of attacking NCLB working out for you?

Art

-----Original Message-----
From: Monty Neill <monty@fairtest.org>
To: arn-l@interversity.org
Sent: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 1:06 pm
Subject: Re: [arn-l] Is "Grade Level" A Load of Hooey?

No question 'grade level' is hooey (to be kind) and is disinformation that
is used to attack schools.?
?

I don't want to discourage action, creation of a video, etc. -- but I
encourage more thought on who the audience would be, how to reach them, what
the message is, what they should retain and take away, and anything you want
them to do.?
?

The other question is whether that is more valuable than, for example,
attacking NCLB, explaining how destructive it is to schools, and sending
folks to places to get ideas on what to do (actions, things to support to
replace NCLB, etc.).?
?

Maybe it is just me, but 'grade level' seems more of a tool for real
mischief than the key mischief itself. Exposing the fraudulent tool is
useful, but I'd encourage more discussion on how central it is, what
exposing the fraud would contribute to making change, and whether with
limited resources...?
?

Monty?