Re: Writing SAT experiment

Diane,
It was my oldest son who wrote "I just wanted to know if this thing
worked." over and over (5 sentences per paragraph and three paragraphs). He did
it because his brother, who couldn't write his way out of a paper bag, had
received a great score on something he had done in the automatic scoring
program. My oldest then went back and put in the first page or so of a
Stephen King novel. It didn't score as well as his original "I just wanted to
know if this thing worked." If I recall right, King's paragraphs failed.
We were not sure how it worked other than that it looked to see if there
were sentences and the spelling was right (like Word does). Anyway, our
school system stopped using it after I showed them the results.
Mickey VanDerwerker

In a message dated 12/16/2010 3:11:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,