Re: In response to Judi's statement to Deanna

In a message dated 2/15/99 2:29:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dorn@TYPHOON.COEDU.USF.EDU writes:

> Similarly,
> public institutions would face an outcry from state legislators if they
> made admissions tests voluntary -- "lowering standards" would be the
> criticism (and if, in my relative ignorance, I am unaware of a state
> where such a suggestion is serious, someone could probably [dis]confirm
> my prediction).

In fact, the University of Oregon does not require standardized test scores
for admissions (they do require them to be submitted, for research purposes,
but not for decisions about admissions). California State (the colleges, not
the universities) also does require the tests. There are some other state
universiites (not whole systems) which don't require them. The list FairTest
has is on our website at www.fairtes.org.

It may well be that if a public college now tried to drop them, there would be
an outcry about "lower standards." In Texas, however, the legislature --
hardly a bastion of even moderate liberalism -- and Gov. Bush approved a plan
for college admissions which allows students in the top 10 percent of their
graduating class automatic admission to UTexas; and minimized the role of
tests for other applicants. There was complaint from suburbanites who get
higher test scores but don't reach the top 10 percent of their classes. Still,
the plan has held.

So, hard as it can be, there is space to move. FairTest's view is that test
scores should be optional -- if a student wants to submit them, fine; if not,
s/he should not be required to do so.

Monty Neill