Re: AVID programs

AVID is a program for underachieving minority high school students started
in the San Diego area in the 1980s. In brief, they identify the "talented
tenth" by looking for high test scores and low GPAs. They offer the
parents the chance to sign their kids up for the program, and require some
level of parental buy-in. Once in, the kids are put into a cohort
structure, where they have the same study skills class every day. They are
registered in academic courses, and the study skills class is a "a home
base" safety zone, and also serves as a motivational and life-skills
course. Psychologically, these kids are "allowed to be nerds" within the
safety of the cohort. In my reading of the research, AVID at least serves
as a part time solution to the "afraid of acting white" phenomenon among
many urban African American and Latin students