From: Karen Canty
To: ARN-L@LISTS.CUA.EDU
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: American Diploma Project/Smoking Gun

George,

What is driving the myth that "everybody" needs or should be qualified to go to post-secondary schools "without remediation?" I thought about my day yesterday as I was reading this thread and I still don't understand. I went out to lunch with a friend - no one at the restaurant needed a college education; my next stop was at the mall where I needed to go to a couple of shops to buy some things - no one who waited on me needed a college education; my next stops were Trader Joe's and the grocery store - no one who waited on me in either place - the butchers, check out people, produce handlers; deli workers, etc. needed a college education; I then went to the tailors to pick up a pair of trousers that my husband had altered - no one there needed a college education...not until my husband walked in the door (he's a CFO) did I see anyone who needed a college education to do his/her job and yet EVERYONE of those people are absolutely vital to our economy and should be valued as much as my CFO husband - so who does those jobs in Achieve's, etc. Brave New World? A bunch of miserable college graduates who think they shouldn't have to do those jobs? Or miserable high school drop outs who couldn't pass this wonderful diploma test? The people whom I saw yesterday were friendly, efficient, and some of them I've known for years - especially those at the grocery store where I shop - so my assumption is that they're being paid well enough and are happy enough to stay there for years.

So my question still is - who will do those jobs?

Karen