Re: eliminate public education

gkc@LOUISVILLE.EDU writes:

> Isn't this all meaningless if the test are no good?

Tests are neither good nor bad. Tests are pieces of paper by which people
judge others (mostly, young others) for better or worse.

And since we're sharing: My own test taking abilities varied, depending on
my age and the subject matter. In elementary school I mostly thought I was
an awful test taker, because I was a s-l-o-w reader. In junior high, I once
scored in the 20th percentile on the spelling section of the CTBS-- for
shame! I did really good on the military achievement battery --which I took
for fun-- so the recruiters were calling, after I graduated, only to be told
that I was married now, (that slowed them down back then).

Though I was a wiz at algebra, I would never pass the 10th grade WASL math,
I'm sure. So, if the Tim Eyman scandal doesn't throw all future initiatives
to the dogs, and the WASL initiative passes and I have to take it before
getting on the ballot for SPI in 2004, I'll just have to write, "I refuse to
answer on the grounds that it might tend to make me look like a dope," in the
math short answer spots. I'm sure I can do better than that on the writing--
if they promise to post my entire answer sheet on the state site ;-) and if
the math has marykrayletouneau questions, I'm sure I'll "get" that.

My son, who had higher math SATs than my daughter, just failed half of his
college math and all of his college Spanish, so will be bouncing back to our
nice (cheaper) community college to get his associate's degree before wading
into a four year school again-- fine with him and me. A test is a test is a
test....

Juanita