Re: Math On The Street

Re: Math On The StreetHmmm. I wonder how Michelle feels about this middle school West Ed project?

BC
----- Original Message -----
From: Karen Cole
To: ARN-L@listsrva.CUA.EDU
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 8:57 PM
Subject: Re: Math On The Street

You might be interested in the Middle School Math through Applications Project, an NSF-funded curriculum and research project I was part of for several years. It is organized exactly along the lines you suggest. Kids start out with a big problem situation based on the work of math-using professionals like architects, population biologists, and cartographers. In order to solve these problems the need for certain mathematics emerges. Students produce a comprehensive design solution after several weeks of work involving both the problem and the relevant mathematics. You can learn more about it at http://mmap.wested.org/pathways/.
-Karen