Re: Scientific American article-Hoodwinked on fonics

Foorman is the lead investigator of the "Foorman Study" in Houston of three
years ago. Typical NIHCD research design. Pull kids out of class for
special training sessions several times a week for several weeks. Give
them pure phonics lessons and exercises, decoding stuff. Then test them on
a phonics test, like sounding out nonsense words, to see if they apply the
decoding principles. If they "pass" the test, voila, success! Phonics
works! No cross-checking with real reading and comprehension
assessments. And of course no control for confounding variables, like
what's happening in their home classrooms for the remaining 5 1/2 hours
each day. Pseudo-science.

Pete Farruggio