[mailto:ARN-L@LISTS.CUA.EDU]On Behalf Of William Cala
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 11:06 AM
To: ARN-L@LISTS.CUA.EDU
Subject: Re: AP classes

Interesting article, however, lots of contradictions. There is too much
content, not enough depth. Sounds good, however, it goes on to say that we
should start these kids earlier in school to prepare for this kind of
instruction. Let's offer these course to poor minorities as well. What the
heck, they should be given more rote memorization opportunities as well.
They should be well-practiced after high school careers of drill and kill.

This issue is a difficult one. Some of the arguments critical to AP are
indeed valid, however, some of the supporters of the argument (often Higher
Ed Administrators) have motives less than pristine. I am sure that being
able to charge the additional tuition (and in some cases additional year of
attendance at college) the bottom line will not suffer.

Having taught AP Spanish (albeit a long time ago) I see many problems with
College Board's management of the testing program, its development of the
tests and their subsequent fairness.

Bill