From: Humes-Schulz <humes-schulz@ATTBI.COM>
Subject: Re: Edron, er, Edison in NY Times

Jim:

Hmmmm.... I don't think you will find me on the record supporting cookie
cutter education and scripted lessons! Ever! No where! But it not because
of Edison that 1800 schools are using SFA. And it is not because of Edison
that Districts are using kill and drill. All of this one size fits all is
coming from our one size fits all accountabiulity packages being forced upon
schools. I do not see the kind of education being offered by Edison as
very different from what is being foisted upon the inner city schools
everywhere. Certainly, it is similar to what is advocated and being
implemented in our city. And it doesn't strike me as very different from
the very traditional education offered by parochial schools in the inner
city.

There is a huge push by some in our District for a standardized curriculum
that does not vary one iota from building to building to combat the student
mobility problem we have with kids moving from school to school to school
until they drop out. So the forces for standardization come from many
directions.

Don't dismiss the facilities issues either. Imagine being a student sitting
in a school that hasn't been painted in 30 years, has lead in the water
pipes so the drinking fountains are closed, has a malfunctioning cafeteria
so you often receive a frozen machine produced hamburger, the bathrooms
stink like a freeway Shell station and have no paper or soap, the library
has 30 year old books and has never seen a Harry Potter book, "multimedia"
means an old film strip projector, your classroom is cold as hell because
the furnace is broken or the window is broken OR your classroom is so hot
because the furnace is turned way up to compensate for the broken windows,
or your classroom is really a hallway, or your classroom is a basement
windowless room (did you know that adequate natural light can increase
achievement by 26% REGARDLESS of the curricular practices?).........how must
you feel as a student? where is your self esteem? don't you feel like a
forgotten failure before you ever even picked up a book to share with your
neighbor ? (you can't have your own, there aren't enough).

Then imagine walking into a freshly painted, bright building with books of
your own and a kitchen that works and an extended learning day. Don't you
think that might be attractive to families? Sure, the public school
district should have (and probably could have) fixed all that stuff. But
they didn't.

And don't dismiss the offer of a computer as you all sit wired together in
your offices. Just where would you be without a computer? The lack of
access to the internet is a huge equity issue.

I am just unwilling to buy the mantra that "Edison is automatically bad" .
Sometimes it's a tad better.

And you say:

But we can never concede to the notion that Edison is the best we can do--in
the short-run or in the long-run. We must keep the flame under their bums.

I totally agree! But we can't forget as we light that flame that a kid only
gets to be a brand new first grader for 9 months. No do overs. We should
not be surprised when kids -- and their parents--can't wait for us in the
public school community to get our act together, IMHO.

Kathie
Behalf Of Jim Nickola