Re: New York State Ed Cracks

I have several comments about this some dervied from research, some
just reflections

given the current structure of schools, and the ridiculous emphasis on
tests, I'm not sure that any adjustment to the schedule of the school
year wil make much of a difference

I note that the resistance to starting school before Labor Day is that
things like beach resorts and amusement parks object to loosing their
low-wage work force.

I also note that the long summer vacation can traditionally be traced to
two sources. First, students were needed during the summer to work on
the farms. Second, for large chunks of the country before air
conditioning, the schools were impossible places to learn.

Now, having gone through all that garbage, let me refer to the reserach,
which is the real concern about loss of learning over the extended
summer break. This is especially true for students from lower SES, and
the evidence on this seems fairly strong.

I am strongly of the opinion that - assuming that we could restructure
schools so that what occurs during the time school is in session is far
more meaningful than much of what occurs now, especially the preparation
for tests - a structure of the year that is broken into periods of
perhaps 6 weeks on, two weeks off, or iff the 6 weeks is too short, 9
weeks on, 3 weeks off, would make far more sense than what we have now.
Okay, I've got 4 weeks to account for - and I;ve only got 36 weeks
ialthough that would equal 180 days, minus the holidays). I'm too tired
to explore all the alternaitives, but youg et the picture. After about
3 weeks, I think we begin to see the loss of retention of learning. And
most people really don't know what to do we breaks of longer than 3
weeks, short of dumping the kids into a summer camp (for 8 of the 9-10
weeks of summer?).

There are schools following this so-called "year-round" pattern. My
guess is that it will not spark any massive trends, even though the
breaks could be used for extended work-study as well as just play.

As to play - I thinkmit is an improtant part of learning, but we are
rapidly losing places for children to play. I wil be 56 in May - during
my youht, when our back street was closed at one end so that we did not
have through traffic, we used to regularly play games in the street.
Now some communities that make it illegal for children to play in the
streets. We could also find fields on which we could play pick-games,
organzied by the kids without adult supervision. Now in may communities
allpalying fileds are reserved for organized leagues, which means kids
never learn how to organize themselves.

I guess I'm just grumpy tonight. Anmyhow, I wanted to put my few cents
worth into this topic.

Goodnight all!!!

Ken B