Re: turning the tables

Dave,
Orignially, I was just a bit confused about the ARN listserv (I get confused
a lot). Anyway, yes, I'm glad I stayed on.
Re: Mass...wow, it really does sound nasty. Back here in Minnesota, Joe
Nathan did a 180 and is now in opposition to high-stakes. He and the Center
for School Change has even apparently come up with it's own guidelines for
testing. They're not as good as the guidelines that were recently in the
lead opinion piece at the beginning of Phi Delta Kappan (Oct. or Nov. 2000),
but it's nice to see that he is on board. I do remain a bit suspicious as
to why he did a 180 in about six months and how he was able to also author a
study on the subject during that same time period. Oh, well must be a
Minnesota Miracle (as opposed to a Texas Miracle).
I presented on grade retention/social promotion at the NASP convention in
Florida in 1986 and in Boston in 1988. I probably should have tried to have
the paper published. Anyway, in a sort of "Oh, by the way" context, I
referred to "minimum competency testiing" and said that in states where they
had such testing, far more kids repeated grades and dropped out of school.
I never dreamed back then that we'd see the likes of the current testing
craze that we're in. If it didn't have such negative side-effects, it would
be humorous...the anal-retentive, obsessive-compulsive aspect of it.
However, I can see that in Mass., it's not very humorous at all.
You're right about targeting the most vulnerable in our society. That is
one reason I got so upset with Joe Nathan. He explained to me that a person
could do just fine in our society WITHOUT a high school diploma. Yah,
right. I suppose if you're Jim Carrey, the actor, but the rest of us
pluggers need the diploma. I sort of lost it with Nathan at that point and
just went a bit ballistic. Maybe that and his respect for Sen. Wellstone is
what changed his mind; he still has a Wellstone bumper sticker even though
Wellstone last ran in 1996.
Peace, joy and happiness,
Mike