George--

Thanks! I've heard some of that about
reading, but not been a witness to it;
it's before I became aware of the
state processes.

But "research"--carefully selected--has
certainly been used as a weapon both
in reading and in math. It's a long and
sordid tale, thoroughly and interestingly
documented by Bill Jacob of the UC
Santa Barbara Math Department.

A good starting point, re math,
would be this article in the
March 2000 Phi Delta Kappan:

"The Politics of California School Mathematics:
The Anti-Reform of 1997-99"
By Jerry P. Becker and Bill Jacob
available online at
http://www.pdkintl.org/kappan/kbec0003.htm

and the article referenced in its footnote #29.
Here is Footnote 29 in its entirety:

29. For details on how a poor research base was
authenticated for use in developing the math
framework, see Bill Jacob and Joan Akers,
" 'Research Based' Mathematics Education Policy:
The Case of California 1995-1998," preprint,
available by request from jacob@math.ucsb.edu,
University of California, Santa Barbara, 1999.

As I testified to the State Board about 2 years ago,
if you can select the people and select the research,
you can achieve any result you like. (I think I wasn't
supposed to say that out loud, but I did.)

And it's all so esoteric, so arcane, that few will
ever know the difference.

--Erwin