[mailto:ARN-L@LISTS.CUA.EDU]On Behalf Of George Sheridan
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 11:39 PM
To: ARN-L@LISTS.CUA.EDU
Subject: Reciprocal Accountability

The governor wants to hold students and teachers accountable for learning.

Shouldn't he and the legislature be accountable for providing books,
materials and facilities? What if every school were ranked on a statewide
index--from the top decile to the bottom--on a single number representing
the quality of the school facilities? Wouldn't the state government be
responsible for improving the scores of the bottom fifty percent?

Would it be called the "Opportunity to Learn Index"? Or the "Academic
Prerequisites Index" (API)? We could have a STAR (STate-provided Academic
Resources) program. Or maybe Students, Teachers And Resources as an
equation for learning.

George Sheridan
Northside School
Cool, California 95614