- Subject: Labels
- From: "Quan, Cao" <QCao009@AOL.COM>
- Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:21:51 EST
- Comments: To: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Florge@aol.com, email@example.com, GDes505838@aol.com, KyokoGrams@aol.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Rickjenk@aol.com, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Aliceblanco@indian-river.k12.fl.us, Kirkz@ocsb.okee.k12.fl.us, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Hoffman_E@popmail.firn.edu, Sangulo@stu.edu, Rcastro@servax.fiu.edu, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Caspat99@aol.com, DRCS35984@aol.com, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, ESherr@aol.com, email@example.com, MarciaInFL@aol.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, "bellsouth.net marc"@beon.net, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, HF2629@aol.com, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Eunice_Hopkins@scps.k12.fl.us, Cynthia_Ryan@ed.gov, email@example.com, D_Pompa@nabe.org, firstname.lastname@example.org, MULTIED-L@usc.edu, AZBLE@asu.edu, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, SChou888@aol.com, email@example.com, Sara@indepsec.org, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Sandra_Brown@ed.gov, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Kathy.Escamilla@colorado.edu, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Ddgbui@aol.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Fer19@aol.com, Kagi98@aol.com, MNavarre@cde.ca.gov, JULIAL@ccsso.org, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Neil_Anderson@byu.edu, firstname.lastname@example.org, CJohnson@bul.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reply-to: Assessment Reform Network Mailing List <ARN-L@LISTS.CUA.EDU>
- Sender: Assessment Reform Network Mailing List <ARN-L@LISTS.CUA.EDU>
Thought all of you would appreciate this posting from the Spec Ed Parent
It takes each and every of us to speak up against the inane and insidious
testing of our children, and yet more than that, it takes each of us the care
and time to invest in each and every one of them.
For that reason, I have resolved to pay little attention on this listserv
this past year, when Jack Schmidt passed away, to the annoyances that deter
and distract us from the purpose of our passion. We waste our time trying to
explain and argue with purported experts and proclaimed leaders; we waste our
energy on the fear that somehow what we say here gets reported back by spies
who lurk and poke every so often. And yes, the dark days ahead are somehow
exaggerated to ignore the dark days behind us which many courageous members
of this community have already overcome.
So here's to another Lunar New Year. May our enemies flourish in their
intent, and may all their designs and tests show their true form, and may
their learning curve turn itself around, so their children will also be
blessed one day in a community such as ours. Let's take their word at what
we do: leave no child behind, not one in Kosovo, not one in the Congo, not
one in Cuba, and certainly not one in the "new capitalist" China.
Labels on jars, usually tell what's inside,
while labels on people, do nothing but hide,
The worth of the person, or depth of the soul,
The gifts that they bring, to the world as a whole.
Yet the world is tuned in, to labels unending,
Most of which really, are not worth defending,
For they simply detract, from a person's true being,
And generate nothing, but negative feelings.
Our schools should be places, where children can learn,
Not just academics, but human concern,
For those who are different, and not quite as able,
Who need understanding, not a meaningless label.
Yet throughout our schools, all over this nation,
Is something we know as "special" education,
Where labels abound, and problems unfold,
Because some kids are "different", and don't fit the mold.
So we sort and we label, and continually hide,
Behind groups of letters, that supposedly describe,
What a child's really like, what he can or can't do,
And then justify placement, with a relative few.
It all seemed so simple, this labeling game,
But since its inception, our schools aren't the same,
For along with each label, expectations accrue,
And rather than many, they tend to be few.
So let us give thought, to a label demise,
And hope in the future, that we all realize,
That labels on jars, are of value we know,
But labels on people, someday must go.
Gene Kyle 1991
To unsubscribe from the ARN-L list, send command SIGNOFF ARN-L
Post a Message to arn-l: