Re: Ohio Teachers Grade Politicians on School Policies

The reason we can't all be on the same page when it comes to education is that we are not all on the same page when it comes to education. Teachers have their interests and points-of-view, politicians have their interests and points-of-view, the business community has its interests and points-of-view, other intrerest groups of all kinds have their points-of-view, parents and kids have their interests and points-of-view, and, last but not least, the taxpayers have their interests and points-of-view. And people are not shy about advocating for their interests and points-of-view. This is what makes America wonderful.

Art

-----Original Message-----
From: Lynn Pugliese <lpugli7107@yahoo.com>
To: arn-l@interversity.org
Sent: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:43:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [arn-l] Ohio Teachers Grade Politicians on School Policies

This is exactly what I have been talking about. What can we do about this, What will it take? How come we can't all be on the same page?
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/living/education/13678876.htm
lp

Bob Schaeffer <bobschaeffer@earthlink.net> wrote:
OEA TEACHER CONSENSUS ACROSS THE POLITICAL SPECTRUM:
OHIO LEGISLATORS AND SCHOOL POLICIES PERFORMING POORLY
PRNewswire -- January 24, 2004

Columbus, Ohio -- Nearly 4,000 members of the Ohio Education Association
responded in a member survey in a striking consensus that new
educational policies in the Buckeye State have done more harm than good,
while Ohio political leaders have continued to neglect severe funding
problems of Ohio public schools.

OEA members from across the political spectrum -- conservatives,
liberals, Democrats, Republicans and independents -- said they aren't
optimistic anyone is taking action to solve Ohio's school funding problems.

"This is a striking consensus across the political and ideological
landscape. It reveals that teachers on the front lines feel ignored on
many issues directly affecting the success of their students," said OEA
President Gary L. Allen.

"Our teachers told us that new federal and state education initiatives
-- like No Child Left Behind, tuition vouchers and some aspects of
high-stakes testing -- may well have done more harm than good," Allen
said. "We need to listen to their real-world experience."

Allen discussed the highlights of the Member Survey:

- Only 5% of respondents feel Ohio's school funding system gives every
school district equal resources for a quality education for all
students.
- 87% indicated Ohio's system of funding education is fundamentally
flawed.
- Two-thirds feel their school districts are under-funded, and 93% feel
Ohio schools overall are under-funded.
- 89% feel the state legislature has failed to solve the state's
education funding crisis.
- 88% feel the state legislature deserves a D or an F for its support of
a quality education for every Ohio student. (56% give the legislature
an F.) The grades were consistent across all political outlooks.
- Between 85% and 95% of those surveyed feel initiatives like No Child
Left Behind, tuition vouchers and some aspects of high-stakes testing
have done more harm than good.
- An overwhelming majority rejected the use of taxpayer funds for
privately run charter schools, as well as charter claims of academic
performance.

Please see the full report on the OEA web site,http://www.ohea.org

Direct list questions to listmom@interversity.net

--------