Re: Race to Nowhere

I wish it were that easy in my district. They absolutely refuse to exempt her. I have done all I can. I have kept her home and then when she goes back they pull her out of class and test her. She comes home crying. I have no money to hire an attorney. What can I do? Would this be a violation of her civil rights?

-----Original Message-----
From: kpoppers <kpoppers@sbcglobal.net>
To: arn-l <arn-l@interversity.org>
Sent: Mon, Jan 17, 2011 1:47 pm
Subject: Re: [arn-l] Race to Nowhere

A close fried of mine was informed during his daughter's 3rd grade year that she
was in danger of retention because of her 2nd grade score on the mathematics
portion of the STAR test. Upon my advice he exempted her from testing in the
3rd grade. She is now happily puttering along in 5th grade, with no regrets.
The school no longer bothers the family about her scores, she receives the help
she needs with her math deficits and no longer lives with anxiety no child
deserves.

On Jan 17, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Geena@aol.com wrote:

> [...]
last few years. The pressure is extremely high. Testing stresses us out as well
as our child. She is a bundle of nerves and anxiety during testing season which
in our district is several times a year. Is that fair to kids as young as 7?

Report list problems to listmom@interversity.net