[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
Team Obama Suggested Cutting Food Stamps to Maintain Duncan'...
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: Team Obama Suggested Cutting Food Stamps to Maintain Duncan'...
- From: James Horn <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:23:14 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:from:to :content-type:mime-version:subject:date:references:x-mailer; bh=IbbAdytrY8llGL7igxi8KYeY1imbbFWnlpmPdc9UHOo=; b=k3JtC7N22YgL0c8bDj9/arbLer10dbwghxo6vbGQM6s33gCPIcIZEjykBnrJ2hHNN+ 4FfY67pQLb47g1tzmTEpf7pFit60vNX3BdnMgbCW31+p0DclfG+vsSzdQd0k/f+R5TIc EcNsJhZLbPxbLrNKgeyqigMg3+bsmomDXvm9M=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:from:to:content-type:mime-version:subject:date :references:x-mailer; b=ToyjF/urps0VTid1WLLw7rXR+mtIEXYmKGM5tpcdlJBfeop4hTA3hj5iFNBlNc55Ix YCFzrBSnRokcQx0TEDUGfza3mepvpJtpcNgciyFmt91hZT/SKqAOZki0qnJXRDpFdAl0 IwaFDrBGBTLqLm9FqZ6RDvY5ec9F6toyRADHc=
- References: <email@example.com>
Thank God for David Obey, quoted here from EmptyWheel:
The secretary of Education is whining about the fact he only got 85
percent of the money he wanted .… So, when we needed money, we
committed the cardinal sin of treating him like any other mere
mortal. We were giving them over $10 billion in money to help keep
teachers on the job, plus another $5 billion for Pell, so he was
getting $15 billion for the programs he says he cares about, and it
was costing him $500 million [in reductions to the Race to the Top
program]. Now that’s a pretty damn good deal.
So as far as I’m concerned, the secretary of Education should have
been happy as hell. He should have taken that deal and smiled like a
Cheshire cat. He’s got more walking around money than every other
cabinet secretary put together.
It blows my mind that the White House would even notice the fight
[over Race to the Top]. I would have expected the president to say
to the secretary, “look, you’re getting a good deal, for God’s sake,
what this really does is guarantee that the rest of the money isn’t
going to be touched.”
We gave [Duncan] $4.3 billion in the stimulus package, no questions
asked. He could spend it any way he wants. … I trusted the
secretary, so I gave him a hell of a lot more money than I should
My point is that I have been working for school reform long before I
ever heard of the secretary of education, and long before I ever
heard of Obama. And I’m happy to welcome them on the reform road,
but I’ll be damned if I think the only road to reform lies in the
head of the Secretary of Education.
We were told we have to offset every damn dime of [new teacher
spending]. Well, it ain’t easy to find offsets, and with all due
respect to the administration their first suggestion for offsets was
to cut food stamps. Now they were careful not to make an official
budget request, because they didn’t want to take the political heat
for it, but that was the first trial balloon they sent down here. …
Their line of argument was, well, the cost of food relative to what
we thought it would be has come down, so people on food stamps are
getting a pretty good deal in comparison to what we thought they
were going to get. Well isn’t that nice. Some poor bastard is going
to get a break for a change. [emphasis original]
Do read on. Fascinating.
Posted By Jim Horn to Schools Matter at 7/18/2010 07:20:00 PM