Re: Does whole language include phonics? yes.
- Subject: Re: Does whole language include phonics? yes.
- From: Nancy Creech <Teachernut@AOL.COM>
- Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 18:52:31 EST
- Reply-to: Assessment Reform Network Mailing List <ARN-L@LISTS.CUA.EDU>
- Sender: Assessment Reform Network Mailing List <ARN-L@LISTS.CUA.EDU>
In a message dated 3/2/02 6:22:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> The real debate is not between phonics and whole language. It is between
> those who believe that some children need to be taught explicitly to read
> and those who do not.
Could all those out there who believe that children don't have to be
taught reading, please raise their hands???? I have first graders who come to
me that can decode easily. Ask them what they read, and they don't have a
clue. The debate in my opinion is way bigger than this. It is about a
federally mandated curriculum. It is about teachers being trusted. It is
about behaviorist vs constructivist. It is about psychologists vs educators.
It is about positivists vs interpretivists. And I think underscoring it all
is a little male chauvinism : )
Post a Message to arn-l: