Re: In response to Erwin

Kber,

I don't post often, but I do follow some of these threads.

I think you've misunderstood Rick's point. Let me give you another book
suggestion. It's a short book, less than 200 pages. Out of print, but
you can find it in a university library. The book is *The Philosophy of
Science, and Economics* by Robert A. Solo. M.E. Sharpe. 1991.

Here are a few paragraphs, just to give you an idea:

"I do not at all dispute that mathematics is the appropriate language of
'scientific' discourse as Popper used the term, and hence where the
credibility of statement can best be tested through a range of precise
and specific inferential predictions. But what value has mathematics in
the empirico-judmental discourse where, as in the case of general theory
in economics, the credibility of statement cannot be based on the
specific inferential prediction, but where the only rational path to
credibility is through the individual judgment of a mixed bag of
evidence pro and con? There the case for mathematization of statement
collapses."

And another:

"...the mathematization of language in the general theory of economics
and the social sciences: (1) is without 'scientific' justification or
value, (2) eliminates any consideration of qualitative difference and of
qualitative change, hence bars the effective analysis of technological
advance, evolutionary change, and economic development at the heart of
the modern economy. (3) For judgment, the image of the subject to be
judged must be conveyed in its fullness, which can only be done through
the word. A methodology to enable informed, clear-headed judgment in an
empirico-judgmental discourse, would give priority to the word. It would
be for verbal statement to convey a clear image of the subject of
analysis, with mathematics held to a supportive, service role."

And another:

"It is...the psyche that is the creative root of all institutional
formations, of all choice and behaviour by individuals and groups. The
image, the idea, the memory, the value, the belief, the
conceptualization, the commitment, the ambition, the aspiration, the
expectation, the need, that belong in the mind's domain is the ultimate
'stuff' of the social universe. It is a stuff without weight, quantity
or measure, absolutely different from physical matter. It comes out of
nowhere and vanishes without residual. And yet as we witness in the
instance of perestroika and glasnost in the Soviet Union [note: the book
was published in 1991], a shift and change in that invisible stuff can,
seemingly in an instant, collapse and transform a whole vast structure
of social institutions and organizations."

And one more:

The significant regularities of the social universe, on which the
generalization and prediction depend, are not, as in physics, functions
of determined or of random relationships. They are functions of the very
opposite; of human freedom expressed in reason and in purpose. It is
essential to consider and grasp the character of this stuff in contrast
to that of the physical universe, in order to fashion a methodology
appropriate for the social sciences. Besides the character of the
reference universe, an appropriate methodology for the social sciences
will depend on the function or functions of the science qua system."

I think that is what Rick was pointing out in his post. Surely, this
logic applies as well to education as it does to economics, the
"mathematical social science."

LLonald King