From: "Teresa or J Glenn" <jtglenn@CAROLINA.NET>
To: <ARN-L@LISTS.CUA.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: § 36.02. Bribery

> § 36.02. Bribery
> (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly
> offers, confers, or agrees to confer on another, or solicits, accepts, or
> agrees to accept from another:
> (1) any benefit as consideration for the recipient's decision,
opinion,
> recommendation, vote, or other exercise of discretion as a public servant,

I'm not sure how the *club* (which is who was sponsoring these events)
receives anything-- the money is going to the causes you mentioned several
posts ago (breast cancer awareness and Toys For Tots and so on)... it goes
through the club and the club deposits the money in the club's account...
the school itself isn't really *sponsoring* this... I'd say the school is
tolerating this or allowing it to occur, but it's not sponsoring the coupon
activity. (Kind of like a town allowing a KKK parade but not sponsoring
it.)

> party official, or voter;
> Pertinent words in the statute.
> (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly solicits
> from another:
> (1) any benefit as consideration (any amount of money from the kids - it
> doesn't have to directly benefit the recipient) for the recipient's (The
> school took receipt of the money from the student) exercise of discretion
> (the school exercised its discretion to not impose the penalty associated
> with the violation of wearing jeans that is imposed upon every other
> individual who has not paid the benefit) as a public servant, (any
employee
> of the government).

I think you are going to have a problem with the employee part. It's NOT
the employees of the school receiving this money. It's students. And the
money isn't being given to the school-- it's being given to the cause.

I guess I just find this to be barking up the wrong tree-- I see your point,
but again, I don't think you're going to make a case against uniforms by
arguing against clubs raising money for charity. I understand that that's
not *your* perspective on this, but to outsiders, I think that's how it'll
come across.

Teresa