From: patter@VOYAGER.NET [mailto:patter@VOYAGER.NET]
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 5:17 PM
To: ARN-L@listsrva.CUA.EDU
Subject: Re: Gloria Pipkin in Ed Week

One aspect of hegemony is that those belonging to a particular hegemonic
(had to use that form of the word, of course) group is that they are often
unaware of the influence their hegemony has on those who do not belong to
that hegemonic (there it is again) group. So, those who have not
experienced a particular type of hegemony have a very difficult time
understanding the perspective of those who have. We see this all the time
in education when textbooks are written in a particular "standard" dialect,
when we believe that one form of discourse (western european) is the "right"
form without realizing that there are other forms of discourse particular to
other cultures, when we believe that "our" way of doing things is they way
everybody else does things.

Nancy, who just couldn't resist

Nancy G. Patterson, PhD

"To educate as the practice of freedom is a way of teaching that anyone can
learn."

--bell hooks

patter@voyager.net
<http://www.msu.edu/user/patter90/opening.htm>