Re: More on Texas Dropouts

from the material Bill Cala posted:

"The state definition of a dropout is:

A student is identified as a dropout if the
individual is absent without an approved excuse or
documented transfer and does not return to
school by the fall of the following school year, or if he or
she completes the school year but fails to
re-enroll the following school year (TEA, 1998)."

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't that require the case where
students say they are transferring but no request for trasncripts is eer
made must be INCLUDED in the dropout rates? Doesn't that mean that the
way the codes are currently designetated violates the law?

I'm no lawyer, and I don't live in Texas, but it seems to me that
someone should be able to get a good investigative reporter to take a
look at this.

Ken Bernstein