Re: query

Quan interjected:
> Jerry:

> This is why ELL and American learners cannot pass the math sections, whose
> standards they have already mastered. There is more language to mathematics
> than meets the eye.

Rick reinforces by reminding us:L

That's why I teach mathematics *from the getGo* as a language, _per se_, at every
level (K-grave) as I mentioned previously, this list, no matter in WHAT language
it is accomplished, whether technical symbol sets and grammars or the more
natural language narratives explaining the inferences that make *answers*
correct--even for so simple a problem as 2 + 2 = 4, the learner should be able to
rephrase the answer, by justfying it (for example, by procaliming that since 1 +
1 = 2 and you add two twice, you get four, or by the use of manipulatives (not
the usual *rote* algorithm, and much harder levels of understanding to *test*
w/MC, fer sure!)--too few math teachers stress the discursive aspect of the
domain and treat it as a canonical taxology of facts and proceedures. And fewer
yet tests *test* for this aspect of discusrsively generating rationales for your
answers (aka good old fashioned *rhetoric* from the Trivium/Quadrivium
currivcula)... ;-} rap.

--
"Dein Wachstum sei feste und lache vor Lust!
Deines Herzens Trefflichkeit