Re: query

A high school student who already understands the concepts of variables and functions (and is reading at or above grade level) can probably make his/her way through the language to discover that it is saying what he or she already knows. Then the student's question becomes, "Why are they wasting my time with reading this?"

A student (no matter how skilled a reader) who began with less than a complete understanding of variables and functions would almost certainly find this text befuddling.

It is amazing that anyone would think this is a helpful introduction to a problem or series of problems. If there will be multiple-choice questions such as "Which is the dependent variable in a given equation?" the last three sentences contain all the information necessary to remind students of the meaning of these terms. The preceding sentences are frustrating because they require effort to decipher but yield no necessary information.

Of course, one may also wonder why the test makers thought multiple choice questions of the sort this text apparently introduces would be a good measure of students' knowledge of mathematics.