Re: Tutoring Business Booms in Wake of NCLB

Right, Bob! and my busyness (Theresa & I the sole proprietors) is making
$30/hr/person+ (group rates => lower per capita rates which I encourage and
prioritize for sound, constructivist, pedagogic rationales, and not to merely
rake in more $$$) while unemployed, replaced by uncertified scabs AND, what's
more to my satisfaction, able to teach according to how I know best, as
well--althewhile STILL *teaching to the test* while fully paid and unionized
math/science classroom teachers lecture under duress of loosing their jobs
and/or plush assignments and have their poor charges rotely memorizing *problem
types* and *algorithms* to glazed and dazed cohorts of 30+/class.

Sour grapes? nope! it's called making lemonade out of lemons and learners out
of cannon fodder for the Corporate-sponsored War on Public Education... ;-}

For a really radical cant on this topic, and to review for ourselves what *The
Full Monty* of 21st Century *curricular reform* might look like, I, again, draw
your attention to the advanced thinking of Ivan Illich, *The Defrocked*:

Bob Schaeffer wrote:

> Christian Science Monitor-- May 13, 2003
> by G. Jeffrey MacDonald
> NASHUA, N.H. - Ranjana Sundaram was doing fine in kindergarten when her
> mother starting bringing her to a retail space in downtown Nashua twice
> a week for extra work in reading and math.
> "In kindergarten they don't do much, but in first grade, there's a huge
> expectation of the child," says her mother, Dr. Sudha Parasuraman. "I
> know for sure she would have had a hard time coping with it if she
> didn't have her basics down."
> Across a narrow, bare-bones waiting room at this Kumon Math & Reading
> Center, mothers of Indian, Chinese, and Anglo backgrounds sit in
> metal-backed chairs, waiting as their children complete assignments
> designed especially for them. Between calls on their cellular phones,
> each mother offers a distinct reason for being there.
> One child is falling behind in sixth-grade reading. Another is striving
> to stay No. 1 in math in his second grade class. Whatever the problem or
> whatever the goal, the answer for these moms seems to be individualized
> education - even sometimes before their children have moved beyond nap
> times.
> Business is booming at private, for-profit learning centers, especially
> in urban and suburban areas, where parents regularly spend thousands per
> year for a tailor-made, supplemental-learning program. Numbers tell the
> story:
> ? Sylvan Learning Centers has added more than 500 centers in the past 10
> years, growing from 449 in 1993 to 960 this year.
> ? Princeton Review, known for standardized test preparation classes,
> attracted fewer than 39,000 students to its company-owned sites in 2000.
> By 2002, more than 81,000 had come for extra help. Over the same period,
> revenues for the test-preparation division soared from $34 million to
> $66 million.
> ? Kumon Math & Reading Centers helped 33,000 students in the United
> States to master their basics in 1992. This year, that figure exceeds
> 120,000.
> ? The number of individuals nationwide offering private tutoring for a
> fee has increased from 250,000 five years ago to more than 1 million
> today, according to the National Tutoring Association in Indianapolis.
> Pressure from parents and increasingly competitive colleges may explain
> why demand for test-score-boosting services continues to grow, even in a
> sluggish economy. But both buyers and sellers in this blossoming
> marketplace cite an additional, less noticed reason: Customized training
> seems to achieve results in an age when parents, teachers, and students
> have less and less time to do it themselves.

"Dein Wachstum sei feste und lache vor Lust!
Deines Herzens Trefflichkeit
Hat dir selbst das Feld bereit',
Auf dem du bluehen musst." JS Bach: Bauern Kantata
Richard A. Parkany: SUNY@Albany
Prometheus Educational Services
Upper Hudson & Mohawk Valleys; New York State, USA