Fwd: [ca-resisters] Request for research/data

Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 22:10:57 -0700
Subject: [ca-resisters] Request for research/data
From: Scott Figgins <figgins@sonic.net>
To: ca-resisters@interversity.org
Sender: ca-resisters-owner@interversity.org

The principal at my school seems more and more inclined to eliminate all enrichment course (art, drama, technology, living skills, service learning, etc.) except music to be replaced with additional math and reading classes ("intervention" for the lower levels, "supplemental" for the higher levels). He believes (and I believe he believes) that he has the students' best interests in mind, but I can't imagine eliminating such course is the answer (even to a very limited goal of improving test scores).

My request is for any information anyone might have or can point me toward that shows the measurable benefits of a well-rounded curriculum that includes the arts, technology, citizenship, etc. Or, conversely, research that shows the detrimental effects of eliminating the "non-essentials" to make the day start-to-finish core academics. Hard data (i.e. numbers versus anecdotal or philosophical argument) will be most convincing for him.

Thanks,
Scott

P.S. If it helps to know a few things about our school. 800+ students in grades 7 & 8. 45% Latino, 45% mix of East Asian, Pacific Islander, African-American and South Asian, 10% white. It's fairly low income (70% free/reduced lunch). Mostly young and energetic staff organized in 4 teacher teams sharing the same group of students.

Report list problems to listmom@interversity.net