From: arn-l-owner@interversity.org
[mailto:arn-l-owner@interversity.org]On Behalf Of Art Burke
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 3:44 PM
To: arn-l@interversity.org
Subject: Re: [arn-l] Fwd: [ca-resisters] Request for research/data

If they hire you, SPI is in for a blast. Art

>>> arthurhu@attbi.com 05/29/03 03:41PM >>>
Ahh, but are you for HIGH STANDARDS in the arts?

Every student must be able to master an instrument at a professional
level.

Every student must be able to sketch a recognizable sketch of a human
face in at least 3 different media, using appropriate technology.

Afterall, how can we have two Americas, one that is skilled enough to
make
a living at music, and another that is not proficient?

How can we tolerate Americans who can't tell the difference between
classical and impressionist art, or Mozart from Picasso?

I propose that we deny high school diplomas to anyone who can't play a
concerto, choreograph and arrange a broadway muscial, or know the
difference
between a pentatonic or a mixolydian scale.

That's the thing about the high stakes tests, which would probably
flunk
out a good percentage of professional musicians and artists who
actually
have a higher market value than the average citizen.