Re: standards that are excessive

Michael,

I don't have answers leaping to mind as I ready for the school year, but
I'm not waiting until I "know" before continuing the conversation. Can't
afford that.... I do know that things are heating up around the country,
and that it is finally up to us to stand up together. Our school district
has decreed that our fourth grade students will take two standardized
tests in successive months this school year so they can develop base line
statistics. Totally unnecessary statistically speaking, but easier for
the admins. Even the principals oppose it, but are not listened to. So
where's the union you might ask? AWOL, as usual. Bjoth union leadership,
which is tied in its own half hitch, and the real union, the teachers, who
are busy trying to do the way too mcuh we are assigned to do. We have
tostand up, together. If I say no to giving both tests (which I will do),
I will be fired, or worked around; no change. I think converstaions with
parents have to be a major part of this. Schools worked hard to sell
parents on the merits of the tests, to justify their existence (the
schools). We have a new teaching task before us...

Doug Selwyn