deficiency based testing

Hello all,

I just joined the list a couple of days ago and have been impressed with
the post. For sometime, I have been interested in standardized and IQ
tests and how they contribute to persons self-esteem.

One curious feature I have noticed is that focus of the tests is to
identify a person deficiencies then inform parents and educators the pupil
is deficient (cognitively processed as inferior?). So, this approach
appears to be closed minded in that strengths are ignored and thus not
enhanced. Instead there is a need to turn that pupil into a standard
student and the strengths are lessed by the lowered self-esteem of being
deficient.

rhetoric encouraged,

Andrew Hund

"Truth is independent of fact. It does not mind being disproved. It is
already dispossed in utterance." -- Lawrence Durrell