Re: "GOING TOO FAR FOR DISABLED CHILDREN"

Sorry, for the separate post again. But wanted George to respond to this
question you asked up front.

"Is the "Inclusion" horror story fact or fraud? Has anyone checked?"

This particular story? I don't know. However, I do personally know a few
parents and their kids who could be thought of as fitting this description
(from a particular perspective).

For example, I know a young woman I will call Tracy (not her real name) who
is severely mentally retarded (we think). She has no real language except a
bit of 'yes' and 'no' using a version of sign. The way she communicates is
through crude gestures, grunts, and facial expressions -- an amazing smile
and very deep frowns. Until she was age 12 she was in a separate special
education school -- one of those 'center' programs Nancy talked about. Her
mother pulled her out of this school when she discovered she was being
physically abused. With some help by myself and some other friends, she
began asking that her daughter be 'included', with support, in a typical
high school. After many meetings worth many thousands of dollars, what made
the difference was a local coach and faculty sponsor of a service club.
They brought Tracy's situation to this group of kids who found it an
outrage that she could not go to their school. Since both the coach and the
kids, by who they were, had significant political connections, this
situation began to change quickly. Eventually Tracy ended up 1/2 day in a
high school with a special class but where she spent a lot of time in
regular education classes and another 1/2 day at another high school (her
home town).

Now depending upon who you are you might could describe Tracy in the way
that this article does and decry the stupidity. I am sure some people in
the high school, in fact, do that. However, you can also see other very
different things happening here. You can see the 60 kids who showed up to
help plan her being a part of the high school. You can see how these same
kids reached out to her a the annual banquet for the service club. You can
see the shift in atmosphere taht truly, or so I think, makes a bit of a
dint in the typical competitive spirit of schooling, when kids like this,
and others with milder issues, are an integral part of the school.

And so again one has to ask why there are such things as 'center' programs
where we spend up to $40,000 per year per child of this sort. What would
schools be like if everywhere literally all kids went to school together.
And is that too much to ask for?

Like was said here recently, not saleable politically.

And what does all this have to do with the purpose of this list?

Michael

>September 13, 1999
>
>Michael (Nancy, et al.)...
>
>Is the "Inclusion" horror story fact or fraud? Has anyone checked?
>
>One of the reasons I'm always suspicious of certain types of academic writing
>(as opposed to scientific and journalistic, at their best) is that they are
>subject to the abuse of anonymity. The only place where the writing comes as
>close to those affectations we often find in "academic" stuff is in the "non
>fiction" stuff in Cosmo and its competitors ("Janet, a 28-year-old publicist
>and inveterate Himalayan trekker, has been pursuing the perfect orgasm with
>the zeal that Costa Rican surfers pursue the perfect wave...").
>
>The "case study" described in that hysterical document on disabilities that
>you posted, Michael, sounds like the stuff of an urban legend, and before
>pursuing it too far, I'd demand to know what child in what school was being
>placed under what circumstances. An old motto of Chicago's City News Bureau
>was, "If your mother says she loves you, check it out." Always we come back
>to Who, What, When, Where and Why.
>
>Here in Chicago we've had some of the most rabid radical inclusion in the
>nation in recent years. I had direct experience with it recently, and even
>before "mainstreaming" became "inclusion" in my own classrooms. When real
>schools and real classes with real teachers and real children are involved,
>we owe it to everyone to get the facts straight and solve the problem, if
>there is one. Here are two example from my career, then some observations.
>
>I walked into a remedial English II class five years ago (at Chicago's Bowen
>High School) to find that in addition to the usual 10th graders (with severe
>social problems, economic deprivation, and reading delays), I had Tiffany
>Wells (her real name; now an adult, then a child), who was autistic. Tiffany
>was sitting there like everyone else, and with no teacher aide or any
>notification that anything special had just happened. It was the first day,
>and everyone was very busy. After the third time she pointed at me, stood up,
>and said "Teacher!" I looked at the attendance book and there was a small
>note "AU" beside her name. I'd never seen it before and guessed (we've had LD
>and SLD for years, but AU and a few of the others were always way beyond what
>we were expected to take in those "regular" remedial classes with 28 students
>and no teacher aide.
>
>Tiffany was a real person, not a concocted urban legend. It took real work to
>provide here with the additional services she needed. The rest of the class
>learned a lot working with her. Many of them had their own terrible problems
>as well, but all of them worked with Tiffany and helped on our common
>project. We were able to do that, but not without extra support (a very good
>teacher aide), and I was always angry that Chicago always dumped the
> [...]

Michael Peterson
Wayne State University
217 Education
Detroit, Michigan 48202