Re: Bracey vs. Schlafly

Years ago, John Updike compared Salinger to Hemingway - saying that Hemingway was a writer of external action and Salinger a writer of internal action.

Art

>>> mkluznik@HOTMAIL.COM 09/05 3:11 PM >>>

Catcher in the Rye? Wow, that's an overhyped book, if ever there was one.
It's one of the most valuable first editions in the US...I've got one but
plan to sell it on Ebay. Don't tell the bidders on Ebay that I have such a
low opinion of the book.
Some psychologist once did an analysis of some of our most popular novels.
He/she attempted to calculate IQs of the authors by looking at thought
complexity, sentence construction, ideas, themes, etc. He/she concluded
that J.D. Salinger was one of the least intelligent of all the authors
he/she reviewed.

I've heard that the Canon has been laid aside on some campuses for less
important works. What a pity. How does one get through American Lit.
without having read Moby Dick, Huck Finn, The Great Gatsby, As I Lay Dying?
Some of those Dead White Guys actually had some interesting things to say.
Mike