Re: More from Discovery-Times "Making the Grade" Special

I saw part of it last night; it either started at 8pm here or was replayed
then. The portion that I saw dealt with the problems with test accuracy and
unfunded mandates. They showed all of the test prep/frenzy, but didn't
really portray it as a negative thing. I was wondering if they were going
to get to the underlying problems with the idea that testing is a valid way
to teach or to improve schools, or if they would address the effects of
high-stakes tests. Then, I'm sorry to say, I fell asleep. I missed the
whole rest of the show. A typical ending to the first day of school.

Kelley

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"-G. W. Bush,
Florence, S.C., Jan. 11, 2000