Meier on Democracy

Deb Meier has a fine article on schooling and democracy in the October Phi Delta Kappan. Among other things, she shows how education controlled by centralized testing programs does not foster learning about or practicing democracy. Unfortunately, it is not on the web - but if you can, get a copy.

That issue has the Kappan annual survey - which has been noted on the list - important information about testing, among other things. Teh guest editorial is about the poll and is worth a read too, and is on line. http://www.pdkintl.org/kappan/kappan.htm is the main page, click on the issue to get to contents and those articles which can be read on line.

The "Summer loss" piece on what happens to kids academic knowledge over the summer is also well worth a read and is on line.

If you have a limited publication budget, aside from our own FairTest Examiner :} we recommend very highly Phi Delta Kappan.

Monty
Monty Neill, Ed.D.
Executive Director
FairTest